Saturday, August 7, 2010

Gray Hair

No that is not me-but it will be in a few years!
Today's blog post will be short and sweet because I am up to my ears in canning and trying to get my fall garden out this week and have limited time.
I am in my mid 30's.  I think I started getting gray hair in my early 20's.  I used to color my hair at home but I am too tight with my money to get it done much in the salon.  I have been color free for about a year now!   I don't color my hair because I don't want to be high maintenance and I don't like putting anything artificial on my skin or hair that could be absorbed into my body.  At first my husband would comment on how gray I was getting but now it has all kind of blended in.  I have cut my hair a few times in the last year to cut some of the old color out.  There are some natural-ish hair dyes but if I can go gray gradually and naturally I am okay with that.   You have to dye your hair more often if you use the natural dyes anyway, which translates to more money.
  
"Over 5,000 different chemicals are used in hair dye products, some of which are reported to be carcinogenic (cancer-causing) in animals.. Because so many people use hair dyes, scientists have tried to determine whether exposure to the chemicals in hair coloring products is associated with an increased risk of cancer in people." National Cancer Institute

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Sara. I'm right there with you! I finally quit coloring my hair (I only would let the hairdresser do something more like a rinse, not a permanent color). I had to do it every 4 weeks because my hair grows so fast. It's been about 12 weeks and it's really starting to show. If I could be all white, it would be chic, but alas, I'm afraid I will be an in-between, salt/pepper looking lady who looks older than I really am!

    I've heard a sage rinse will reverse it, but I haven't tried. Perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first quit I was really worried, but now that it has grown all the way through my hair it doesn't bother me as much. My mom says it looks like I have expensive highlights! That might be because in the summer I also get a few blondes mixed with my browns and grays because of the sun. I know I don't want to be the old old lady that still dies her hair jet black and paints on her eyebrows but we all know she is 99!

    ReplyDelete